Children of the Night
Sir Elias Redcliff
A human nobleman from Caliphas with a thirst for fame and adventure
Male Human from Caliphas, House of Redcliff
29 years old, 5’11” tall, 167 lb, Wavy brown hair, green eyes, tanned skin, relaxed posture
Born 14th of Pharast, 4680
Strength: D8 (D10)
Spellcasting (spi): D12
Fighting (agi): D12
Guts (spi): D10
Knowledge Nobility (smt): D4
Common Knowledge Shining Crusade
Persuasion (spi): D12
Riding (agi): D6
Socialize (spi): D6
Streetwise (smt): D4
Taunt (smt): D4
Charisma: + 6
Parry: 15 (2 base, + 7 fighting, + 1 armiger, + 2 kite shield, + 1 Black Blade, + 2 shadowed armor)
Toughness: 5 (10) (+ 3 plate armor on torso, arms, legs, +1 armor, +1 toughness)
Max Encumbrance: 40lb (80lb w/gear)
(Minor Hindrance) Enemy
(Minor Hindrance) Stubborn
(Major Hindrance) Heroic Ideal
- Elias gains +2 to his charisma
- Elias begins the game with 1500 gp to spend on equipment, along with a few free items reflecting his status and the services of the house armorers.
- Elias gains +4 to his charisma
- Elias can make a test of wills using persuasion against an opponent’s spirit. Success gives +2 on next action against them. Raise shakes them.
- Elias adds +2 to any rolls he has used a benny to roll
- Elias may choose to make two fighting attacks simultaneously in a turn, rolling two fighting dice and one wild die
- Elias gains a +1 to parry while wearing armor that covers his torso, arms, and legs
- Elias counts the weight of any worn armor as half for the purposes of encumbrance
- Elias gets +1 to fighting rolls when using The Black Blade
- Elias gets +1 to fighting rolls when using The Black Blade
Professional and Expert Casting
- Elias gets +2 to casting rolls
Hand of Doom
- The Black Blade is a legendary weapon, dealing an additional die of damage equal to the highest die type an attack deals. Additionally, it grants +1 parry when wielded.
Arcane Background: Magical Pact
- Focus: Without his Obsidian Ring Elias casts spells at -2.
- Words of Power: Elias casts at -2 if he does not speak
- Cantrips: Elias may roll Spellcasting to cast minor spells.
- Free casting: -1/2 of PP cost (rounding up) to cast a spell. If casting failed, become shaken and lose current spells.
- If shaken, must make spirit roll to maintain spells.
Power Points: 4
Duration: 3 (2/round)
Trapping: Shadowy afterimage that glows with a fell redness follows all his movements, becoming especially exaggerated when he moves quickly
0: Glow Trapping: When cast with a raise the recipient glows brightly with otherworldly light for the duration, providing bright illumination with a radius of a small burst template
1: The recipient of this power has two separate turns per round on their action cardinstead of the usual one. Each turn is handled independently with its own actions, but the character must resolve one turn entirely before beginning the second.
2: With a raise, the recipient can redraw any initiative cards lower than Eight each round.
Power Points: 2
Duration: 1 hour (1/hour)
Trappings: Shimmering Field, changes in skin texture
0. Aura Trapping: When cast with a raise Elias gain an aura that acts as per the damage field power, causing 2d4 damage of the type being resisted against successful melee attackers, and against anyone he strikes with an unarmed attack
1. Elias may breathe, speak, and move at his normal Pace while in one normally harmful environment, such as underwater, a zero-G vacuum, the lava of a volcano, or even the heat of the sun. Pressure, atmosphere, air, etc, are all provided for. The power does not protect against attacks with similar trappings though. Acid (Zacin), Air (Irma), Earth (Maat), Electricity (Sahko), Fire (Brande), Ice (Yaas), Water (Vesi)
2. Additional Targets: Elias may affect up to five targets by spending a like amount of additional Power Points.
Power Points: 1
Range: Smarts x 2
Duration: 3 (1/round)
• Corrosion: Beneficial Effect on person or item: If the target is touched the victim must make a vigor roll or suffer Fatigue (the equivalent of Bumps and Bruises).
• Corrosion: Beneficial Effect on weapon: When an affected weapon causes a damage result of shaken or higher, roll a d6. On a 6, any material the acid hit is ruined (armor loses a point of protection instead).
• The caster can create lesser air currents to blow out a candle, fan a flame, lift a skirt, or cool his body in oppressive heat (+ 1 to a single Fatigue roll caused by heat).
• A wave of the hand can open a one-foot square hole in soft earth (or half that in stone), or cause a spray of sand that might blind an opponent (+ 1 to a Trick roll).
• Shocking – cast on weapon: When an affected weapon strikes an opponent, roll a d6. On a 6 they must make a vigor roll or be shaken.
• Jazz – Beneficial Effect on person: + 1 to Pace.
• The caster can snap his fingers to create a small flame (about the size of a hot match). With existing fire, he can urge it to spread (+1 to see if a fire spreads), cause it to flare (perhaps as part of a Trick maneuver), or slowly light an object over the course of a few rounds (as if holding a match to it).
• Flammable – cast on weapon: When an affected weapon causes a damage result of shaken or higher roll a d6, on a roll of 6 any potentially flammable objects to catch fire (see page 83).
• Armor: cast on person or item: + 2 Armor versus cold, ice, fire, and heat, but fire and heat attacks count as a dispel against this effect
• Skate: cast on person: Ice does not count as Difficult Ground as ice spikes or skates form on the target’s feet.
• Fatigue: cast on weapon: When an affected weapon causes a damage result of shaken or higher roll a d6, on a roll of 6 the target must make a vigor roll to avoid cold-based Fatigue.
• The caster can conjure up to a pint of water somewhere within his sight (not “inside” objects or people). A wave of his hand also purifies one gallon of water, whether it be poisoned or simply salt-water. Those who have been poisoned within the last minute also get a second chance to resist any remaining effects.
The spellcaster may use the spellcasting skill to create minor, mostly useless effects for aesthetic purposes or amusement. Characters must successfully roll spellcasting and use the proper casting requirements. All effects require the constant attention of the spellcaster and dissipate when that attention goes away. There is no duration.
Make an illusion of a small spider crawling across the floor (illusion, Kuva)
Make a mug of ale levitate a couple inches (levitate, Leiyalla)
Make (non-blinding) sparkles flash from your hands (sparks, Kipinaat)
Draw a temporary color onto something like someone’s hair or clothes (color, Vaari)
Create a whiff of the smell of sulphur (scent, Tuoksu)
Make a card briefly change from one suit & number to another (trick, Temppu)
Make a strawberry grow quickly to double in size (grow, Kasvaa)
Mimic the sound of a glass shattering (sound, Aani)
Mend a torn shirt or notched blade (mend, Korjata)
Clean the strain from a shirt (clean, Pudhas)
Create the illusion of a plate being hot or cold to the touch (temperature, Lampoolta)
Weapons and Armor
The Black Blade (Masterwork Adamantine Bastard Sword, Hand of Doom, magical, + 1 parry, +1 fire damage, action to have it glow to make light, AP 2)
Filip’s Blacksteel Plate Armor (Masterwork full plate armor, shadowy enchantment gives – 2 to strike Elias in melee combat)
Masterwork Steel plated kite shield with lantern inset
Necklace of Courage, Pendant shaped as an Iomedaen Radiant Blade (+ 2 on guts rolls)
Masterwork Griffin Riding Gear (+ 1 on ride rolls, no penalty for riding a griffin)
Old Xin’s Ring (1 strength die)
Ring of Protection (+1 armor)
Quickdraw Glove (free action to draw weapon)
(Healing) St. Ezra Touch
(Succor) Restoration Elixer
4,472 gold pieces
32 silver pieces
30 copper pieces
Silver Desnan talisman from Vadoma of Corvischior
Obsidian Ring (focus)
Fashionable Formal Outfit
Bachelor Snuff x20
Alchemist’s Kindness x2
Book of Poetry x 2
Patents of Nobility
Candle x 10
Flint and Steel
Oil (3 pints)
Griffin, Nike (nervous around large crowds of 20 or more, affectionate to Elias, giving + 1 to ride)
Riding Horse, Califax
Stored Weapons and Armor
Stylized arming sword of House Redcliff (hilt showing the badge of House Redcliff, inscription with Elias’ name on the blade, ornamental decorations)
Stylized plate armor of House Redcliff (well fitted, gilded, and inscribed with decorative patterns. additional bits of flair added for style)
Mystical Fatale Edge
10: Strength to d8
15: Fighting to d8
20: Fighting to d10
25: Spirit to d10
30: Persuasion and Casting to d10
35: Fighting to d12
40: Quickness Spell
45: Spirit to d12
50: Persuasion and Casting to d12
55: Very Attractive
65: Improved Frenzy
75: Trademark Weapon
80: Hand of Doom (Black Blade)
90: Professional Fighting
100: Professional Casting
110: Expert Casting
120: Guts to d8
130: Guts to d10, Riding to d6
140: Smarts to d6
Diary of Sir Elias Redcliff of Caliphas
Kept in an elegant and flowing script, this diary was personally written by Elias over the course of his travels.
Part 1 http://childrenofthenight.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-the-pages-of-elias-journal-part-1
Part 2 http://childrenofthenight.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-the-pages-of-elias-journal
Part 3 http://childrenofthenight.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-the-pages-of-elias-journal-part-3
Part 4 http://childrenofthenight.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-the-pages-of-elias-journal-part-4
Part 5 http://childrenofthenight.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-the-pages-of-elias-journal-part-5
Part 6 http://childrenofthenight.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-the-pages-of-elias-journal-part-6
Part 7 http://childrenofthenight.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-the-pages-of-elias-journal-part-7
Part 8 http://childrenofthenight.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-the-pages-of-elias-journal-part-8
Part 9 http://childrenofthenight.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-the-pages-of-elias-journal-part-9
Part 10 http://childrenofthenight.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-the-pages-of-elias-journal-part-10
Minor Hindrance: Enemy
Elias seems to have acquired some rather unusual enemies, the nature of which neither he nor his companions are yet aware
Minor Hindrance: Stubborn
Elias will never admit to being wrong (even if he realizes he is) unless presented an opportunity to do so while still saving face.
Major Hindrance: Heroic Ideal
Elias has a serious ego and sees himself as the heroic ideal. He’s out to look like a hero and that carries some requirements.
– Elias sees it as his duty to protect and guide the lower classes, just as it is their duty to honor and support the upper classes. He will take up such tasks without pay (although he won’t turn it down if freely offered).
– Elias behaves chivalrously to noble ladies (with some qualifications). He will never hesitate to offer aid, stand up for, or risk his own safety for a noble lady. However, he sees no problem with less than honorable “liaisons.” Basically, he’s a perfect gentleman, but a bit of a devilish one.
- If there’s an opportunity to show off, he won’t hesitate to step up to the task, even if it carries some real dangers. This is less about humiliating the enemy than showing he can beat them at their best. He’ll do the best he can to engage in honorable combat with his opponents, seek out the most dangerous foes for himself, and risk his life to protect others in combat. Additionally, outside of combat Elias will be eager to engage in contests of skill and will think little of attempts to hide his abilities. This does not mean he will never engage in stealth or subterfuge, but he is unlikely to view them as an ideal means of fully resolving an issue (sneaking around to scout is well and good, but just sneaking by the bandits on the road is a no no).
Elias was born into the wealthy and influential Redcliff family and has never questioned the advantages that brings. Instead he has thoroughly immersed himself in the pleasures afforded by it. He knows just how a noble is expected to behave to achieve the respect of his peers and lessers, and just how to misbehave to earn their admiration.
On top of these social advantages, Elias also has the privileges of wealth, setting out for his new adventures with the best equipment money can buy. Of course, adapting to the lifestyle of a rough adventurer may pose its challenges, but the services of a couple of family servants will surely ease such burdens.
All of these advantages do of course come with a cost though. Elias must be mindful that his deeds reflect on the honor of House Redcliff, and to some degree on that of all Ustalav. Additionally, he may be required to act on behalf of his house at times, or to head the call of duty when it arises.
Elias was born with a face to be admired and he damn well knows it. He doesn’t leave everything to natural advantages though. Elias is never seen outside of the finest fashion, though sometimes the more conservative are a bit shocked by his avant-garde taste, and has the flair of a natural for personal styling.
Elias has grown up under the tutelage of an experienced master-at-arms in the employ of House Redcliff. As such, he has gained some skill as a swordsman, despite of his lack of experience in true battle (the occasional duel notwithstanding), and received the training and practiced to wear armor with ease and make maximum use of its advantages.
Edge: Arcane Background
Elias seems quite adept in the use of magic, but as to how or where he gained these abilities, none of his companions are quite sure as of yet.